American humorist and storyteller Garrison Keillor had once wittily stated, "The father of a daughter is nothing but a high-class hostage. A father turns a stony face to his sons, berates them, shakes his antlers, paws the ground, snorts, runs them off into the underbrush, but when his daughter puts her arm over his shoulder and says, "Daddy, I need to ask you something," he is a pat of butter in a hot frying pan." Yes, a daddy is putty in his daughter's hand. But there is much more beauty, depth and intensity to the bond of a father and a daughter than what is assumed from the above quote. It is a known fact that daughters of a family always see the father or a fatherly figure as their mentor and always look up to them for approval. For a father, his daughter is always the apple of his eye. He is protective, overly sensitive and extremely loving towards her. Explore more about this loving relationship in the article below.
Relationship Between Father and Daughter
The relationship between a father and a daughter can be best described as something special. Read on to explore the depths of this beautiful bond.
Father Daughter Relationship
- The father-daughter relationship is the first male-female relationship that most girls encounter in their lives. Hence, it is extremely important that this develop in a healthy way because it is the first eyes for which they look for approval as they develop a sense of acceptance or disapproval depending on their experience.
- The presence of a male in the house helps a girl in developing a sense of modesty and learning the right to privacy in a healthy manner. This way, they learn to face the world outside the boundaries of a household without even stepping out of it.
- They also learn the art of fairly negotiating with the opposite sex. As the daughters learn how to negotiate and how to get things they want, done in the family. They also learn to take advices and differentiate between good and bad for themselves. They gradually learn self-confidence.
- As father is the ruling authority in a house and the daughters almost have to look at them for an approval, they knowingly or unknowingly learn the art of getting things done. They learn the art of being assertive without being aggressive.
- Dads become a mirror of the society for their daughters. If a father is an alcoholic and beats his wife, then all males in the world are bad and if he is a good person, all males tend to be nice in their eyes. They become a yardstick for the girl to measure the outside world.